It is important for you and your family members to visit the nursing home to make sure that it meets your needs, as well as those of your family. A few things to consider when choosing a nursing home are listed here:
1) Is the nursing home accepting new residents?
2) Is the nursing home easy to visit for family and friends?
3) Does the nursing home use hospitals where my doctor practices?
4) Does the nursing home have the services I need?
5) Does the nursing home have a variety of activities I might enjoy?
6) Do residents appear clean and well groomed?
7) Do the residents have the same staff on a daily basis?
8) Is there enough staff available to assist residents?
9) Does the staff respond quickly to residents' calls for help?
10) Does the nursing home have an active resident and/or family council?
11) Is the nursing home clean and pleasant?
12) Is the nursing home certified by Medicare and Medicaid?
13) Are the nursing home and current administrator licensed?
14) How much is the cost of care in this nursing home?
15) What services are included in this price?
16) What additional costs will I have to pay?
17) Ask to see the nursing home's last annual state inspection report. Did the report find any problems? Ask how the problems were fixed.